Have you ever thought Who was the first India Prime Minister ? No, Then You should know.
Jawaharlal Nehru was the India’s first Prime Minister who was born on 14 November and died on 27 May 1864. He was great leader of the Independent India. After the death of Nehru, Morarji Desai become the second Prime Minister.
To know more about him , Lets go back to 19’s from when He was born to when he was died. We will share each and every information about his educational background, how did he get into politics and when he became the first Prime Minister of India.
17 Facts about First Prime Minister of India
1. Jawaharlal Nehru was born on 14 November 1889 in Allahabad in British India. His father Motilal Nehru who was barrister. The family was belongs to the Kashmiri Pandit Community. His father Motilal Nehru served as President of the Indian National Congress for two time during the Independence Struggle.
2. His mother, Swaruprani Thussu (1868–1938), was belongs to a well-known Kashmiri Brahmin family settled in Lahore. Swaruprani Thussu was second wife of Motilal Nehru.
3. He had three siblings, other two were girls. His elder sister Vijaya Lakshmi, became the first female president of the United Nations General Assembly. The youngest sister Krishna Hutheesing became a writer who authored several books on her brother.
4. He was graduated in natural science from Trinity College, Cambridge in October 1910. Along with natural science he also studied politics, economics and history.
5. After graduation, He went to London and studied law for two year at the Inns of Court School of Law. He passed his bar examinations in 1912 and was admitted to the English bar.
After returning to India in August 1912, He enrolled himself as an advocate of the Allahabad High Court and tried to settle down as a barrister.
6. He had attended an annual session of the Indian National Congress (INC) in Patna in 1914 and collected funds for the civil rights campaigners led by Mohandas Gandhi in 1913.
7. The annual meeting of the Congress for Lucknow pact was held at the Nehru’s Residence at Anand Bhawan in December 1916.
8. He had led the non-co-operation movement in the United Provinces that now is Uttar Pradesh. The national movement was closed after the Chauri Chaura incident.
9. Not only he was arrested on charges of anti-governmental activities in 1921 but also suffered imprisonment in Nabha, a princely state, when he went there to see the struggle that was being waged by the Sikhs against the corrupt Mahants.
10. In 1928, Nehru’s demands and proposed a resolution for the British to grant dominion status to India within two years.
Watch His Documentary
As presidency of the Congress party during the Lahore session on 29 December 1929, He introduced a successful resolution calling for complete independence.
11. During His Days, The INC asked the people of India to observe 26 January as Independence Day. The flag of India was hoisted publicly across India by Congress volunteers, nationalists and the public.
12. He was know as Architect of India because he declared the aims of the congress that were freedom of religion, right to form associations, freedom of expression of thought, equality before law for every individual without distinction of caste, colour, creed or religion, protection to regional languages and cultures, safeguarding the interests of the peasants and labour, abolition of untouchability, introduction of adult franchise, imposition of prohibition, nationalisation of industries, socialism, and establishment of a secular India.
13. He was the man behind the National Planning Commission in 1938 to help in framing such policies.
14. In May 1947, he declared that any princely state which refused to join the Constituent Assembly would be treated as an enemy state.
15. He supported the partition of India as It was planned by the British on 3 June 1947.
16. He took office as the first Indian Prime Minister on 15 August and delivered his inaugural address titled “Tryst with Destiny”.
Watch Tryst with Destiny Speech of him below
17. And India ‘s first Prime Minister was died on 27 May 1964 which left India with no clear political heir to his leadership.
Lord Mountbatten swears in Jawaharlal Nehru as first PM India at the ceremony held at 8:30 am IST on 15 August 1947
We guess now you know more about India’s First Prime Minister . If we left anything then let us know below in comment.